September 5, 2012 by Jena
So, the boys have been back to school now for almost 3 weeks. But I really didn’t consider summer to be over until this past Labor Day weekend. Since fall is just around the corner we wrapped up summer by crossing off the last few things we could squeeze in on our Summer Bucket List! Here it is….
1. See Fireworks – we went to our town’s fireworks during the Maple Grove days annual celebration. They are always so well done!
2. The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota – this was our first stop on our family’s summer road trip. Made infamous in the Weird Al song which was the boys reason for wanting to see it. We saw it, in 5 minutes. But, we saw it.
3. See a Parade – we went to the 4th of July parade in Edina, Minnesota. They always have a great parade that doesn’t last forever. Which was especially nice since it was like 108 degrees out that day!
4. Farmer’s market – we didn’t get there as much as we would have liked to, but we did make it to the Minneapolis farmer’s market this summer. Luckily we can continue to go well into the fall and enjoy some great produce.
5. See South Dakota – this year was our first annual summer family road trip! We made it out to Rapid City, South Dakota with a few stops along the way. We had a fabulous time and can’t wait for next year’s adventure!
6. Living room camping – we spent one night staying up late in the living room, watching a movie in the boys little tent and sleeping on the floor. The boys thought it was too cool.
7. MN State Fair – this past weekend we made our annual trek to the fair. We love to check out new things every year, try new foods and people watch. It’s always a good time.
8. Make a fort – the boys have gotten in to doing this during the day on the weekends sometimes and often at bedtime in their room to avoid going to sleep. But, I love seeing their creativity and enjoyment in creating the perfect hiding spots.
9. Geocaching – we squeezed a little of this in this summer. We could have done more, but we really use this anytime we are in a new place and have some downtime. We had hoped to hide our own cache – but I suspect that will get done this fall.
10. Maple Grove beach – we have a man made swimming pond with a great beach all around it. We always get a very reasonably priced annual membership and go as often as possible. It’s a lot of fun for kids and parents!
11. Garage Sale – my sister and I did 3 and 1/2 days of a sale. The weather was iffy, but we still made out pretty well and got rid of lots of clutter. What we didn’t sell went to Goodwill. It always feels good to get this over with, but I always wonder if it’sworth all the work?
12. Twins game – we made it to an early Twins game this season, but they didn’t win. We love the new stadium and the boys love baseball – we just wish we’d get to see a winning game. Maybe next year?
13. Go fishing – could we (and by we I mostly mean daddy and the boys) have done more of this? If it were up to Graham we would fish 20 out of 24 hours a day. It makes me happy that he gets so into something like that.
14. Outdoor movie – luckily our town has a band shell which they use to show free movies at on summer nights. We got to see Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark and Dolphin Tale this year. It was so nice to sit outside with friends and neighbors and enjoy a few good flicks with the kids.
So, while we didn’t finish everything on our list….I feel like we had a full, enjoyable summer. And now we are back to school, getting back into our routines and headed into fall – my favorite season. Looking forward to all of our family favorites ahead and especially next year’s Summer Bucket List!
We joined The Happy Family Movement this year in creating and sharing our summer adventures. Check them out!